Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Resthaven: A Storybook Estate with a Past


Our beautiful property, Resthaven, is for sale. This is undoubtedly not the best time to market any property, and a million dollar estate is no exception. Resthaven is not just a house with some land, however; but rather a property with a past. A past which is part of what makes it so special today, because one cannot walk the property without feeling a little piece of those who came before. The Quaker stone masons who meticulously built the house, the teacher who utilized all of her resources to advocate for the education of women, the girls whose lives were transformed by their time spent at Resthaven, and the adventurous physician who always came back to the place he loved most. We have left our mark as well, and are now part of the fabric of the place. My two children grew up there, wandering the lawns and woods, peeking inside the old stone chapel to feel the cool, still air on their skin, playing down by the brook with its little rushing waterfalls and dark, shallow pools. It is a storybook place to grow up; the kind of which I had always dreamed. My greatest hope is that its next caretakers will cherish the property as much as those of us who have shared in its past.

1 comment:

Rhea said...

Hi my name is Rhea, I am the realtor of this property. I love the history of this home. The feeling you get when you walk threw the door is overwellming. Everyroom is unique. The Manor has been completely up-dated for today’s life-style. Electricity, plumbing, new furnace. A lot of folks have said" wow I bet the heating bills are high" No not so the 2FT granite is a great insulator. I walked the property yesterday, it was so beautiful. I took pictures of the Trout Brook, and found myself wishing I had my pole.I realized so much yesterday, this is a mini resort right here in Mendon. You can: Swim, Fish practice hitting golf balls, BBQs, weddings events,hiking,bird watching, or just day dream by the brook in the sun. I do love this home! I left Rest haven feeling so peaceful. I would love to take you on a tour of this Manor, so you can see what it does for you.