Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gone Fishin'


At Resthaven, we are fortunate to have picturesque Spring Brook flow through both the western and northern portions of the property, providing a wonderful and natural buffer of privacy. It's clear, rushing waters provide a soothing backdrop to the ears, and it's coolness prevails throughout the summer, so that one can notice a significant temperature difference when sitting by the mossy stone covered banks. Ferns and spruce trees abound, and it's location down a small ravine creates an atmosphere in which one could imagine being out in the middle of the wilderness. I often see deer peering through the trees there, their well-worn paths clear to even a child's eye. Because the brook's water is clear and cold, and it's topography such that it is fast-running, combined with areas of calm, dark pools, it is the perfect environment for fish, and in particular, trout.
I am not much of a fisherman, but have seen others fishing certain favorite spots on Spring Brook successfully. My attempts at catching "the big one" usually end up with fishing line wrapped around myself and tree branches. I figure I am more of a danger to myself than the fish, and so have given up hope of bringing home dinner. Former resident of Resthaven, Sally Ashkins, wrote me, however, with fond memories of how her father, Dr. Ashkins, would frequently wake up early in the morning and go down to the brook to catch trout for his girls' breakfast.

No comments: