Monday, March 10, 2008

Mysteries in the Attic

For the past 80 years, the third floor dorm rooms at Resthaven have been used primarily as storage space. I have often wondered what lies behind the walls of these rooms. Is there a box of letters from some homesick girl, books, or maybe some treasure inadvertantly forgotten and left behind during summer break? Modern blown-in insulation prevents me from exploring the crevices behind the walls, but I am certain that some vestiges from the Seabury era remain.

Above the third floor dormitory lies the attic, and I have precariously climbed up there and peeked around and under the floor boards in search of interesting remnants. So far only an empty box of chocolates and a note introducing the opening of the school in 1912 have turned up. At the far end of the attic, however, is an enormous double cabinet, almost like a file cabinet, lying on its side. I have tried to open the drawers, but do not have the strength to pull them upwards. I hope to eventually convince my husband to climb up to the attic and assist me in opening the drawers to reveal the mysterious contents of the cabinet. Perhaps one day you will see me on Antiques Roadshow or HGTV's "If These Walls Could Talk" with the answer to the puzzle!

No comments: