Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Superb Manor House




Let me describe Resthaven, and how it struck me upon first laying eyes upon it 12 years ago. As I dr0ve by the property, the first thing I noticed were the centuries old stone walls lining the road. And then, turning into the driveway, past the old stone pillars, there it is, sitting majestically high on a knoll. "WOW" is all I could think. The house's granite block construction and Greek Revival massing give it a presence of solidity, enormity, and a sense that neither Mother Nature, nor time, can touch this place. Pulling up the driveway, lined by six 150 year old Maple trees, feels like something out of a novel. The 4.9 acre property, with its extensive lawn and mature plants and trees, gives the feeling of stepping back in time to an English country manor. Again, stonewalls are everywhere, and tucked into the back corner of the lawn, by the woods, sits a storybook-like stone chapel. Although I can't see it from here, I can hear a brook's rushing waters. As we enter the side door of the house, I see a warren of small rooms, and the kitchen. A plant-room/mud room with skylights, off to the left, leads to the two car garage. The kitchen was designed for a maid, not a family. That will have to change, I think. A swinging door leads to a grand dining room, complete wih a fireplace, built in china cabinet, and wainscotting. French doors on either side lead out onto the front porch, and the back granite patio, for al fresco dining. The floors strike me. They are wide heart pine, something I've never before seen, and they stretch endlessly as I look down the long corridor ahead. There is a powder room, and a reading alcove with a fireplace (very cozy!), and a library with french doors and bookshelves, along with a huge closet. Great family room spot. We enter the grand front-to-back foyer. I could drive a car down these hallways, they are so wide. The grand main staircase is there by the front door. Next comes a double sized living room, reaching from one end of the house to the other. Its like a ball room, with a huge fireplace and built-in cabinets. The 7 huge windows give off incredible light, which is something I've noticed through out the house. The windows are big, and numerous, so every space is filled with natural light. I notice the window sills, which are two feet wide, thanks to the granite construction. Gorgeous moldings everywhere. Upstairs, the rooms are large, especially the master, which sits above the double living room. Again, windows and light everywhere, and looking out at the branches of the enormous maples, I feels like I'm in a treehouse. Enormous shower in the master bath, and three closets, with one walk-in. Closet space is NOT an issue here. We head back to the other end of the house, passing 4 more bedrooms, and 2 more full baths, and numerous closets. The place seems enormous, but at the same time, it feels comfortable. Like home. We head down the "good morning" staircase, and out to the back yard. Except it's not a "yard", it's more like an estate. I mentioned the chapel and brook, but there is also an in-ground pool, a carriage shed, and a complete sense of privacy. There is a huge blossoming lilac bush, along with too many other flowering trees and bushes to count. Without even knowing yet of the significant history of the property, I am hooked.

No comments: